Make It Monday - Snowman Craft and Lesson Plans
I am excited to have Mary Kate back today for the PERFECT Christmas Craft with lesson plans!
“Oatmeal Snowman” Christmas Craft
Snow is a pure white gift from heaven. Snowmen are about us giving life to something that, frankly, has no life. This fun craft using oatmeal boxes may give kids greater insight into God’s gift of snow and how it is like the Holy Ghost, which often creates life out of lifeless creatures.
• Oatmeal box (can also use a Pringles box)
• Red felt
• Green ribbon
• Any colorful strip of fabric to make scarf
• Googly eyes (can also black buttons or black hole punches for eyes)
• White construction paper
• Black marker
• Buttons or hole punches of different colors
• Candies or cookies to go into the box
• Oatmeal cookies to fill the box.
Introduction and some quick lesson plans to go with it!
How do we feel when we see snow falling outside around the holidays?
Excited because we might be able to play in it.
What does snow sound like when it falls? Silent, peaceful.
Who comes to visit us from heaven who is silent and peaceful? The Holy Spirit.
Let’s make our pretty snowman craft and then talk more about the Holy Spirit and what it does for us.
1. Wrap white construction paper around the box.
2. Glue black buttons for eyes.
3. Make a nose from a piece of red felt.
4. Use black marker to make a mouth.
5. Use buttons of different colors on the “body”.
6. Use red felt to form a hat. To form the hat cut out a piece of red felt. Glue or staple the sides together.
7. Slip the hat over the top of the box.
8. Use green ribbon to tie around the hat, as per illustration.
9. Tie the scarf around the box.
When snow comes calling, it is white, like purity, and it is often silent and peaceful when falling. Once it falls, we are lucky to go outside and play in it. What is one of the things we try to do with snow? Make snowmen.
And when we make snowmen, what do we like to pretend? Think of Frosty the Snowman!
That our snowman could come to life. Snowmen are a little like people before they come to Jesus. They look lifelike. But they aren’t real, are they? They can’t really move about like Frosty the Snowman.
Ephesians 2:1 says, “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins.” Verse 6 says... “God raised us up with Christ...”
We are like the snowmen who actually come to life! Have you ever seen a snowman come to life? No.
We are miracles, and we have Jesus to thank for it all!
Let’s fill our snowmen with cookies, which is like God filling us with life!
Add oatmeal cookies and then you can give the snowman as a gift!
Thanks so much Mary Kate!
Mary Kate Warner
Mary-Kate is a regular blogger at Christianity Cove ( http://www.christianitycove.com/). You can often find her writing about Christian Motherhood, Homeschool Teaching, Bible Study and Sunday School Activities, Faith and inspiring children to love God.