Skip to main content

What we are doing without....

Happy Monday!  

We are back to our regular schedule with school and I am glad for it. It was nice to take "off" two weeks from the "normal" school day. We still crafted, quizzed at dinner and did other "learning" activities.  We are also back to gym classes this week and other obligations. 



If you are taking this journey with me and others for January (No Spending Challenge) I am so excited and praying for you and your family.  If you are not, maybe consider it?  You can check out the original POST HERE. 

I wanted to share some things that my husband and I have done to lesson our monthly outgoing.  

We are a tech family with big screen TV's, lap tops, gaming systems, Ipads....blah blah blah.   I was (and still am) kinda getting TECH-ED out!  I long for more REAL face to face time and less tech time...sigh...it's a battle I continue to fight every day.




A few months ago, I suggested we get rid of 2 of the 3 cable boxes in the home and low and behold, HUBBY was on board with it.  The children were NOT. (made me a little sad that they hold television in such high standards in their lives...working on this!)

On our playroom tv and our bedroom tv we have what you might say "basic cable" with a few of the major networks and PBS available (we don't pay separate for them, because we pay for cable in our family room TV).  

We also have an Apple TV on our bedroom TV that you can get a few other channels with it. 

I love the fact that the TV is on WAY less in the afternoons (no TV allowed from 9:30 - 2pm each day). More playing and creating happening! 

Hubby also agreed to cancel his GAMING SPORTS Package from our cable provider which was costing $ 7 a month.    

 I also suggested we get rid of Netflix - another $ 8 a month (no one is missing it).  We still can get our cable TV on the Ipads if WE MUST see something lol...we use it for school a lot.  So if you add up all this you will see we are saving a nice $ 70 per month and the grumbling stopped after a week or so and now it's the new normal! 



Another item on hubby's check list this month - is looking into getting all of our "insurances"  (homeowners, cars, quads and camper) under 1 company maybe getting a multi policy discount.   Verdict still out on this one....

I would love for some other suggestions that you might use to cut your monthly budget.  Leave in comments!  Anything we can do to help each other would be great!

Until next time - Be Blessed and Spend Less!






Comments

Kelli Becton said…
Love that you have done away with cable and such. We dumped it about 2 years ago now & really don't miss it. We only have netflix ($8 per month) and we use it a good bit but that way we choose exactly what we will watch & no commercials! I hope you have had a wonderful Christmas & new years - God bless you in 2014~
Caroline said…
We have 2 cable boxes and a lower cable package, but keep netflix as hubbie and I use that more than anything. I am going to try and shop online for groceries this month to cut down on extras I spend at the grocery store and hubbie can pick them up on his way home.
I am trying to not go to stores period, if I don't go I wont buy. I am writing lists of things I want and looking at them for a week before deciding if they can be erased from my list.
Melissa N. said…
YES, I have been doing the Shop at Home from Shoprite for months now and spend WAY LESS. If you have at least $ 100 in your cart then the $ 10 FEE is waved so it's a cost of NOTHING to have someone else shop for you, bag them up and you are on your way. I love it and my budget does also! little trips here and there are costly. A weekly food plan helps too.

Popular posts from this blog

Shining the Spotlight - Finding Home Farms

Today at Woodwater Farmhouse, I am sharing with you another company that I feel you should know about.  


I first learned about Finding Home Farms on Instagram. Little did I know, Laura, one of the owners of Finding Home Farms, lives local to me, in the Hudson Valley of New York. 
You can read all about Laura and her lovely family at her blog about page. 
 I immediately knew that I had to try their products in my home. I have grown to love their products (shop), Laura's sense of style and her blog. 
Can we just stop now and talk about their packaging first.  It speaks to you before even trying the products. Simple, organic and calming.  Isn't it just darling with the little dove.
sigh....insert smile

I love her blog tagline - Gather Create Connect - that says it all, there in three little words. YOU already know before going forward that you are in for a special treat. 
I am only going to speak to a few of their many products because these are what we use in our home with our family. 



Shining the Spotlight - Soapforcollege

Happy New Year and welcome back to our first
Shining the Spotlight
for 2017! 

 I hope you all enjoyed your holidays and are settled back into your routines.







Today I am so excited to introduce you to a company that has such a wonderful purpose behind it!  Jessica Griffis is a 17 year old college student paying her way through college selling Hilltop Design simple, natural and homemade products.  Jessica was also home educated!!! (dear to my heart)

Ya'll know I am all about the package as first impressions are so important. Don't you just love this sticker/stamp that she had on her package!  Spoke to me before I even opened it up and smelled the freshness of the products. 

I was impressed with the smell of the products, not overwhelming and artificial smelling at all. I felt safe using them on myself and my children. 

There are lip balms, lotions, scrubs, body butter, bath bombs and more.  The scrubs rival any other name brand and the bath bombs are THE BOMB!   The products are very …

Shining the Spotlight

Today at Woodwater Farmhouse, I am sharing with you a company that  not only meets but exceeds my expectation.  In service and product. 
Rustic Honey




The owner's name is Lauren Moran and I can see why her shop is so successful!  Rustic Honey is a lifestyle boutique. They offer women's clothing and accessories, children's wear, home goods, vintage finds, handmade gifts and more!  Let's look at this business card first. First impressions are everything in my book.  (I did not get a picture of the adorable chalkboard wrapping that the box was wrapped in but it was so cute!)


It's cute, to the point and shows her style.


Not even talking about the farmhouse towel that I ordered yet...but come on a hand written note to me personally and has all her social media outlets on there also. Clever!  On the opposite side of this personalized note is the cutest quote and picture. 

Ok I am getting to the towel I ordered..it's HUGE and adorable. The printing is clear and impressive!�…